It's hot, hot, hot, but folks are still out there riding. Remember to be smart, of course: ride early or late, during the coolest parts of the day; cut back on distance and effort as needed; and stay hydrated.
Thanks for the great feedback and nice words about the updated newsletter design. Continue to share and to keep me on my toes.
This week's edition features Nitty Gritty rides this weekend and next (one of our favorites: the Lake Rabun Loop), and the latest Teardrop Century news. We're putting the finishing touches on our beautiful Teardrop kits, and online sales will start very soon.
NG NOHS 42
Saturday, June 20th, 9 a.m.
North Oconee High School, 1081 Rocky Branch Rd, Bogart
Download the excellent map and cue sheets for the 42, 35, and 17-mile routes from www.cyclenittygritty.org.
This is a no-drop ride with an expected pace of 15-16.5 mph.
Point man: Rik Oswalt.
NG Rabun Lakes Loop
Saturday, June 27th (depart from Athens by carpool 6 a.m.)
Carpool from Oconee Heights Baptist Church, 4180 Jefferson Road
Note 1: If you're carpooling/caravanning, be ready to depart from OHBC by 6am. If leaving your car, please park in the grassy field to the left of the church.
Note 2: Please print a map from:
We'll drive up 441, just past Tallulah Falls, turn left onto Old 441, and then make another left onto Lake Rabun Rd. Park across from the marina. We will bike through Tiger, Clayton, and Germany Mountain. After a store stop, the finale is very pretty -- a smaller road that winds along the edge of Lake Rabun for about 10 miles. Afterwards we'll eat lunch in Clayton at the Universal Joint.
Bring a change of clothes and money.
Ride leaders: Rik Oswalt, 706-546-1639; Georgia Judson, 706-461-0195; and Diane Montevideo, 304-532-4418.
Continue to follow Carol Myers' amazing cross-country bike adventure via her blog, Cycling Into the Future.
Teardrop Century News and Updates
Come Join Us for the 5th Annual Teardrop Century Ride for Interfaith Hospitality:
Saturday, September 12th, 9 a.m.
Morgan County High School, 1231 College Drive, Madison, GA 30650
- Registration: $40 through 8/15, $50 afterwards
- Register online at active.com
- Or download this Teardrop registration form and mail it in
- Sign up by June 30th and receive a special bonus: a free pair of AthSav socks ($10 value)
- Proceeds benefit the Interfaith Hospitality Network of Athens - help IHNA continue to provide emergency shelter and vital services for homeless families with children in the Athens area and throughout Northeast Georgia
- Four beautiful route options: 102, 63, 35, and 21 miles
- See the IHNA web site and Ken's Bike List for up to date ride details and info about our great sponsors: PRESENTING SPONSORS, The Hub Bicycles, Jittery Joe's Coffee, and Virginia McKenna, Licensed Professional Counselor; MAJOR SPONSORS: The Hamilton Agency and Zaxby's; SPONSORS: Allergy Partners, Escape the Space, Morris Law Group, The Schramski Family, Southern Landscaping Irrigation and Construction LLC, and WalMart - Eastside Athens.
- Post-ride food and music!
- Check out this mockup of our beautiful Castelli Teardrop jerseys and bibs - online ordering will begin in a few days - stay tuned!
Tri to Beat Cancer
Sunday, August 23rd, 7 a.m.
Sandy Creek Park, Athens, Georgia
400 Meter Lake Swim, 14 Mile Bike, 5K Run
Proceeds from this event will help the Cancer Foundation of Northeast Georgia (www.cfnega.org) provide immediate financial assistance to local cancer patients struggling financially due to their cancer diagnosis and treatment. Your participation in this event will certainly change a life, starting with your own! The Cancer Foundation of Northeast Georgia's goal is to improve the quality of life for cancer patients and their families who need help.
Registration and details: http://gamultisports.com/tri2beatcancertriathlon/
One Love Century
Presented by the Metro Atlanta Cycling Club
Saturday, September 5th, 8 a.m.
Metro Atlanta's best charity bike ride is only a few summer months away, and we can't wait for you to join us. Great roads. Better food. Not much traffic. And 700 of your best friends riding through the isolated roads of South Fulton County. If you've done it before - welcome back! If you have never been part of the One Love Century, come join us in 2015 and experience our new expanded weekend format!
Route options: 16, 27, 43, 61 & 101 miles
Registration and details: http://www.maccattack.com/one-love-century-2015
Coming on September 27, 2015 and taking place in Georgia's Premier Cycling Venue, the Six Gap
Century & Three Gap Fifty boasts many of the same roads and mountain climbs as the elite Tour de Georgia. Come ride the Ride of the Pros! The Six Gap Century's ultra challenging route takes you up and down six of the steepest climbs in the North Georgia Mountains. Test your stamina with more than 11,200 feet of vertical climbing over the 104 mile course. Elevations for the six gaps in this ride range from 1,400 feet to 3,460 feet. The toughest climb, Hogpen Gap, will test even the strongest riders, averaging a 7% grade for seven miles, with sections as steep as 15%. Details and Registration: http://www.6gap.com/index.php/the-rides/six-gap-century
Thank you for your friendship, interest, and support. See you out there!