Back in the day when we weren't all the year-round paragons of fitness, ahem, that we are today... the AthSav Kickoff was a particularly notable event as it signaled us to get off our lazy, expanding derrieres and start training. While there are seemingly so many more riding opportunities today, and with many of us attempting to stay with it even during the cold winter months, that call to arms may not be quite as urgent, but the event is still an important marker in our ride calendar. It means that the full 210-mile AthSav is just two months away. See the info below and join us this Saturday for 52 or 32 miles, followed by sandwiches and treats provided by the Foundation for Excellence and Ken's Promotions. Open to all! Free!
This Week's Highlights and Reminders:
- AthSav2016 Kickoff Ride, March 5th - this Saturday! free and open to all - see below.
- Cantilope 'Beginner' Bike Rides are starting up again for the season - Wednesday evening, April 6th at 6 p.m. All rides begin from the Oconee Heights Baptist Church on Jefferson Road. Follow all of the details on the Cantilope Facebook page.
- Cantilope 'Elk' Bike Rides start Wednesday evening, March 16th at 5:30 p.m. All rides begin from the Oconee Heights Baptist Church on Jefferson Road. Follow all of the details on the Cantilope Facebook page.
- Firefly Trail Ticket to Ride, March 19th.
- O.C. Dean's Birthday Challenge Ride, April 2nd - details added below.
- Tony Serrano Century, April 9th.
- Al Pless Memorial Bike Ride for the Athens Land Trust, Saturday, April 23rd, 9 a.m. The event will include a lavish post-ride spread, sponsored by the Foundation for Excellence in Education.
- Specialty Paint and Body Twilight Gambler added to calendar - May 7th.
- And just down the road: AthSav2016...
- The Louisville Motor Lodge (first night) is reportedly full, but lodging is available at the Wadley Inn and the Western Motel in Wrens. As we did last year, we will be providing bus shuttle transportation on Friday night and Saturday morning. We will also be contacting all signed-up riders to see who might be looking for a roommate on Friday or Saturday.
- Remember to check the Bike List AthSav2016 page for the latest info on lodging and everything else you'll need to know. And please contact me at any time with questions.
- We have coordinated with the Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Hotel Indigo to reserve a block of ten rooms at the Hotel Indigo out-of-town riders on the evening of Thursday, May 5th. Those rooms will remain available, first come, first served, through April 14th.