Let me start with one more thank you to everyone - the riders, volunteers, organizers, sponsors, and weather gods - who made last week's Firefly a perfect day of riding for everyone. Special thanks go out to Georgia Cycle Sport, Jittery Joe's Coffee, Mary Cook (the queen organizer), Mark Ralston, John Devine, Mike Hall, Daisy Mathis, Diane Montevideo, and Paul Meech, all of whom supported the event and worked tirelessly behind the scenes.
Let's keep the "Firefly Spirit" going with another terrific community ride/event - The Al Pless Memorial Bike Ride, departing from the Jittery Joe's Roaster on Saturday, April 23rd. Beat the price increase! Just $35 through this Saturday, March 26th. A full metric century, with shorter options, followed by a post-ride spread catered by Barberitos.
This Week's Highlights and Reminders:
- Nitty Gritty Roads Less Traveled, this Saturday, 10 a.m.
- Agro Cycle Tour, Saturday, 9 a.m. Just added to calendar
- Cantilope weekly "Elk" Rides (22-26 miles, 13-15 mph) have begun. They depart on Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m. from the Oconee Heights Baptist Church on Jefferson Road. Cantilope "Beginner Bike Rides" (~10 miles or more at 11-13 mph) begin Wednesday evening, April 6th, 6:00 p.m. at Oconee Heights Baptist Church. All rides are no drop and generally have a sweep; For Cantilope rides, you can follow all of the details on the Cantilope Facebook page or contact Heidi Davison, email@example.com.
- At Saturday's Firefly, Noble Jones told me about Pelotonia 2016, a giant fundraising bike event (more than $106 million dollars raised in the fight against cancer!). The three-day event rolls out of Columbus, Ohio on August 5th, with more than 8000 riders participating. For more info see www.pelotonia.org. To get involved/find out more about the Georgia Team - "the Midnight Train from Georgia" - check out www.pelotonia.org/georgia, or contact Noble at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make your plans now to join in.
- We're starting to finalize sag, transportation, and food plans, and other logistics. Time to get on board! And AthSav riders, you will be hearing from sag coordinator Amy Kissane this week. She will ask you to confirm your lodging plans and transportation needs.
- See the AthSav2016 page for the most up-to-date ride details.
- Register online, or download this PDF form.
- AthSav jerseys and bibs will be here before the end of the month. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive. If you pre-ordered, your items will be available for pickup at Georgia Cycle Sport, or contact me to arrange delivery.
- In addition to pre-orders, there is a limited number of items you can claim for your own:
- Men's Jerseys (M, L, XL, 2XL)
- Women's Jerseys, (M, L, XL)
- Bibs (L, XL, and 2XL)
- The easiest way to order is to use the online Bike List Store - or you can email me.
- You can mail me your check (made out to Ken's Promotions, 27 Chestnut Oak Run, Athens, GA 30607).
- Let me know if you have any questions about sizing, availability, etc.
- Georgia Cycle Sport
- Jittery Joe's Coffee
- Need to Meet
- The Hamilton Agency
- Brett's Casual American
- The Foundation for Excellence in Education
- Ken's Promotions