The biking season was truly "kicked off" this past Saturday with our annual AthSav Kickoff Ride. We had an excellent turnout and a great post-ride spread hosted by the Foundation for Excellence. Perfect weather, and generous support once again from our friends at Jittery Joe's made this a terrific day of riding and good friends for everyone.
This Week's Highlights and Reminders:
- Cantilope weekly "Elk" Rides (22-26 miles, 13-15 mph) begin next Wednesday, March 16th, 5:30 p.m. from the Oconee Heights Baptist Church on Jefferson Road.
- Cantilope "Beginner Bike Rides" (12.5 miles at 11-13 mph) begin Wednesday evening, April 6th, 6:00 p.m. at Oconee Heights Baptist Church. All rides are no drop and generally have a sweep; For all Cantilope ride, you can follow all of the details on the Cantilope Facebook page or contact Heidi Davison, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nitty Gritty 56-mile "Oglethorpe, Mostly" this Saturday, March 12th
- Firefly Trail Ticket to Ride, March 19th. A highlight of the riding season - sign up today!
- Al Pless Memorial Bike Ride for the Athens Land Trust, Saturday, April 23rd, 9 a.m. The event will include a lavish post-ride spread, sponsored by the Foundation for Excellence in Education, and catered by Barberitos!
- And just down the road: AthSav2016...
- The Louisville Motor Lodge (first night) is reportedly full, but lodging is available at the Wadley Inn and the Western Motel in Wrens. As we did last year, we will be providing bus shuttle transportation on Friday night and Saturday morning. We will also be contacting all signed-up riders to see who might be looking for a roommate on Friday or Saturday.
- Remember to check the Bike List AthSav2016 page for the latest info on lodging and everything else you'll need to know. And please contact me at any time with questions.
- We have coordinated with the Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Hotel Indigo to reserve a block of ten rooms at the Hotel Indigo out-of-town riders on the evening of Thursday, May 5th. Those rooms will remain available, first come, first served, through April 14th.