Welcome to fall (which officially begins the day after tomorrow)! Well, my education in off-road riding continued today with a 20-mile, 2000-foot climb at Lake Russell. The advertised "gravel grinder" quickly became a single-track ride/hike/and communal flat fixing event for the two blowouts suffered by my less-than-adequate 32-inch tires. Thanks so much to my mountain-riding friends who saved my bacon several times today. Time for an equipment upgrade before I tackle this ride again.
Looking ahead, this coming weekend offers four great options, including the NG Mad Cow Ride, the Clarke Middle School Owl Flight 5K, the Rescue 1 Century, and Six Gap. See the info below.
And just a little further down the road:
- Please check out a brand new event I'm helping to organize and promote - the Good Hope Poppy Festival Ride, October 24th. Your participation supports and benefits the VFW and the American Legion; the Walton County Project Road Share; and all of our great friends at the cycling mecca of Good Hope, GA, home of the Good Hope General Store. Check out the info about the Poppy Festival and Bike Rides at the event website.
- AthSav2016 online signups are already coming in! Remember that if you sign up by 10/31/15, in addition to the early signup discount price of $150, you'll receive a prize - a free AthSav2015 hoodie, t-shirt, or socks. Sizes and quantities may be limited, so act now. See the AthSav2016 page for the most up-to-date ride details. Register online, or download this PDF form.
- Speaking of AthSav, I have added the "Between Two Rivers" Ride to the Coming Soon section. The ride is sponsored by our buddies at the Screven County United Way, who provide our delicious Day 2 lunch on our AthSav ride.
- I have also added OC Dean's Annual Silver Comet Fall Ride to the calendar below. See the detailed info there.
- If you would like to get one of the beautiful Teardrop kits - jerseys and bibs - you saw at the Teadrop ride, we still have a number of items left. 2015 jerseys are $80, and bibs are $100. 2014 jerseys are $40. All proceeds from these sales go directly to Interfaith Hospitality to help them continue their work with homeless families with children in Athens and Northeast Georgia. Contact me to inquire about sizes, or to order.
See you out there, riding friends!