Lots of news as we roll full speed into summer.
First, following up on the email I sent out last week, I am confirming that AthSav2016 has been moved back one week to May 6-8, 2016. I am already pre-booking a bloc of 35 rooms at the Hilton Garden in Savannah for Saturday night. Stay tuned for many more details - it won't be long now, as registrations will open up in October.
Two great Nitty Gritty rides are coming up the next two weekends - Apple Valley/Maysville this Saturday, and Tour de Neese the following week. See all the details below.
Come join us this Friday, July 10th, 4-6 p.m. at The Hub Bicycles for the Teardrop Kickoff Party
- Free Pizza and Beverages for Everyone!
- Free! Teardrop 2014 tech t-shirts, Interfaith Hospitality drinking glasses, AthSav2015 bike socks, and other goodies (your choice of any of these) for all who come.
- Sign up for the Teardrop Ride AND purchase at least one clothing item - jersey, bibs, or shorts - by this Friday (or if you have already done so), and you will receive a free AthSav2015 sweatshirt and have the option of purchasing a 2014 Teardrop jersey for the ridiculously low price of $30 (sizes and supplies limited). You can sign up and make your purchases online or at The Hub this Friday.
- 46.5 (sm) carbon frame w/ Shimano Gear
- Ultegra derailers
- Shimano 105 brakes
- Bought new (12/29/12) for $2519.00
- Includes tools, seat, and helmet
- 62 cm
- I bought it new from The Hub for $1795 (I have a copy of the receipt)
- I rode it occasionally for 3 years and it's been sitting in my garage for the past 4 years. So, it has very low mileage and is in excellent condition.
- I just had it tuned up at The Hub
Contact: Lew Allen
Saturday, July 11, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Oconee Heights Baptist Church
4180 Jefferson Rd.
Enjoy the full Apple Valley route (about 42 miles) or one of several shorter options available. Or add the Maysville Extension out of Dry Pond for a total distance of around 60 miles. Ride leader will be doing the long route and extension at an average of 16-17 mph. If there is a leader who would like to co-lead a shorter and/or slower-paced group, let me know. Store stop in Dry Pond at roughly the halfway point. Please park in the grassy area beside the church. Maps available on the Nitty Gritty website and I will bring several to the start as well.
Leader: Daisy Mathis
Sat, July 18, 8:00am - 11:30am
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
2227 Diamond Hill Neese Road
Tour de Neese: options of 30 or 38mi with leader doing the full 38 at ~16mph avg. Meet at the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church in Neese. Please park on the right, farthest from the church entrance. It takes about 20 min. to drive from downtown Athens. Download a route map atwww.cyclenittygritty.org.
Road Captain: Georgia
Teardrop Century News and Updates
Saturday, September 12th, 9 a.m.
Morgan County High School, 1231 College Drive, Madison, GA 30650
- Join us this Friday, 7/10, at the Teardrop Kickoff Party, 4-6 p.m. at The Hub Bicycles. See the intro section, above, for all the details.
- Registration: $40 through 8/15, $50 afterwards
- Register online at active.com
- Or download this Teardrop registration form and mail it in
- Proceeds benefit the Interfaith Hospitality Network of Athens - help IHNA continue to provide emergency shelter and vital services for homeless families with children in the Athens area and throughout Northeast Georgia
- Four beautiful route options: 102, 63, 35, and 21 miles
- See the IHNA web site and Ken's Bike List for up to date ride details and info about our great sponsors: PRESENTING SPONSORS, The Hub Bicycles, Jittery Joe's Coffee, and Virginia McKenna, Licensed Professional Counselor; MAJOR SPONSORS: The Hamilton Agency and Zaxby's; SPONSORS: Allergy Partners, Escape the Space, Morris Law Group, The Schramski Family, Southern Landscaping Irrigation and Construction LLC, and WalMart - Eastside Athens.
- Post-ride food and music!
- It's time to order your beautiful Castelli Teardrop jerseys and bibs - online ordering has begun - click on the team order link and order yours by July 12th - don't miss out!
Coming Soon, Mark Your Calendars...
- Sunday, July 26th, 9 a.m
From organizer, Robert Wilhite: "We all remember when Tina Waddell was brutally attacked last year on the Silver Comet Trail. The cycling community came out in a huge way to show our support for Tina. We also rode the Silver Comet Trail from mile '0' to the AL state line, in an effort to 'Take Back The Trail.'
Distances: a. Ride to state line (123 miles); ride out as far as you like- just do a u-turn at ANY time. Rest stops at several locations and sit-down lunch time for 'state line' group.
Sunday, July 26th will be your chance to come out again and ride the SCT to honor Tina. Since the SCT is an out-and-back route, you can turn around at any time. If you want to form a group along the SCT to merge with the main group, please PM me so I can coordinate stopping, etc."
Check in at the Facebook event page.
Red Clay Ramble
The beloved Red Clay Ramble event offers a 56 mile race, as well as 15, 21, 35, and 56 mile ride options along some of middle Georgia's most beautiful back roads. The race will run the 56 mile route and will begin at 9AM with a mass start. Prizes and custom medallions will be awarded to the top male and female racers in each category. The recreational (non-competitive ride) starts at 9:30AM and will feature 15, 21, 35, and 56 mile options. All routes feature a mix of paved and unpaved surfaces with a variety of gentle climbs, making an enjoyable experience for riders of all skill levels
Routes and other details: http://mvillebikes.com/red-clay-ramble/
Tri to Beat Cancer
Registration and details: http://gamultisports.com/tri2beatcancertriathlon/
One Love Century
Route options: 16, 27, 43, 61 & 101 miles
Registration and details: http://www.maccattack.com/one-love-century-2015
Six Gap Century/Three Gap Fifty (really 60!)