As I write this, it is snowing - big, fat flakes, very pretty but not sticking very much. Still, today marks the beginning of a new era for the Bike List.
The biggest news is that www.KensBikeList.com is here and is up and running! I hope this will be an exciting and useful new way of sharing information about rides and events throughout the year. I will continue to use the weekly newsletter and follow-up emails to highlight key events and big doings each week, but the web site will be the go-to place for a complete list of upcoming rides. My focus will continue to be the Athens-Savannah Double Century and many other rides that I organize and co-organize, including the AthSav Kickoff, Firefly Trail Ticket to Ride, Pedal for Paws, Al Pless Memorial Ride, Jackson Brevet, and the Teardrop Century and Metric Century.
I will also continue to share news about Nitty Gritty and Cantilopes rides.
Now, let's jump into the news...
- The AthSav kits are here, they look amazing! The kits arrived yesterday at Cycle Sport Concepts, 1029 Baxter Street, Athens, 706-549-2453.Micah Morlock is sorting and labeling everything, and you can start picking up your items today. If you haven't finished paying for your items, you will need to do so before you can pick up. (I can also deliver/mail your kit to you - contact me). You can pay at Cycle Sport Concepts by check (made out to Ken's Promotions) or cash. In addition to the pre-ordered kits, there is a good selection of jerseys and bibs in a variety of sizes - you can pay for and pick up those items at Cycle Sport Concepts as well. If you don't see your size and would like to order anything, you may also do that at this time. Payment by cash or check must be made at the time of your order.
- This Saturday, February 28th, Nitty Gritty is offering a reprise of the Teardrop Metric Century route. The 63-mile loop departs from the Oconee County Courthouse in Watkinsville at 11 a.m. Check the Nitty Gritty web site calendar for details.
- We're just a week and a half out from what has traditionally been called "the unofficial start of the AthSav season - the AthSav Kickoff departs from the Jittery Joe's Roaster, 425 Barber Street, at 10 a.m. on Saturday, March 7th. C'mon out for a 43-mile jaunt to Winterville and Arnoldsville, and then join us for post-ride sandwiches and snacks provided by Ken's Promotions and the Foundation for Excellence in Education.The ride is free and open to all, not just AthSav riders.
- The highlight of the early spring riding season is the Firefly Trail Ticket to Ride. The 4th Annual Firefly is less than one month away, on Saturday, March 21st. Last year, this terrific event and celebration of the proposed Athens-Union Point rail trail drew over 200 riders, and we expect to see even more folks this year. The ride offers routes from 16 to 84 miles, with food, beer, and music at the end. Click here for more info and registration, or check the Bike List web site.
- I just received news about the 1st Annual Firebird Festival, Sunday March 29th, at Pedal Driven Cycles, 149 Oneta Street in Athens. Check the Freestyle Connection BMX Team Facebook page for more details.
- As you may have seen on Facebook, we're already closing in on 100 signups for AthSav2015 in May. To accommodate everyone in tiny Louisville, we have arranged with the headmaster of the Thomas Jefferson Academy, 2264 U.S. 1 in Louisville, to provide up to 50 "sleeping bag spaces" in the school gym for $20/person (payable to Ken's Promotions, 27 Chestnut Oak Run, Athens, GA 30607 - we will use these funds to provide a donation to the school after this year's ride). If you would like to choose this option, please notify Amy Kissane (email@example.com) and me as soon as possible. For the sake of convenience, you may choose the high school option in lieu of one of the motels; if you already have a motel reservation and would like to change, please notify Amy and me, and cancel your motel room to free it up for another interested party.
Remember to start checking the Bike List web site for updates and details about current and upcoming ride.
Welcome to the Bike List world... and, as always, see you out there soon.