Four and a half years ago, a group of folks who would go on to become the Firefly Trail Ticket to Ride planning team sat down together and began discussing what we could do to raise awareness about, and support for, a 39-mile rail trail from Athens to Union Point.
- This Sunday, March 29th, Sunshine Cycles is sponsoring an "awesome raffle for an awesome event" - the 1st Annual Firebird Festival - from noon to dark at Pedal Driven Cycles, 149 Oneta Street. Our friends at Sunshine write, "Enter to win a 2015 Giant Revel 3 bicycle with 100% of the proceeds go to help end Cystic Fibrosis. As some of you know Phoenix, the son of Josh Ponzter, our all-star head mechanic at the Athens shop, has CF. Phoenix is one of the most amazing kids you'll ever meet. Full of laughter and energy. Lets help him find a cure by buying a raffle ticket and hopefully getting yourself a sweet new ride at the same time. Plus, the Firebird Festival in Phoenix's honor is going to be a blast! You can buy tickets at either store as well as the day of the event. $5=1 ticket, $10=3 tickets, $20=8 tickets and $30 gets you 12 tickets. Cash or check only." Check out the event flyer, or contact Sunshine Cycles for more details.
- I'm planning to add a Sunday NG ride as well - I'll follow up by email and Facebook during the week.
- AthSav2015 continues to grow - we're well over 100 riders. There is still room for you, but our planning team is meeting this Friday to see how many folks we can effectively support - so don't wait any longer! Note also that the block of rooms we reserved at the Hilton Garden Inn Savannah will revert back to the hotel at the end of the first week in April. Check the AthSav page on the Bike List web site for details and registration, or contact me. Looking to pick up or purchase an AthSav kit, hoodie, or socks? All remaining items are back at Cycle Sport Concepts/Georgia Cycle Sport.
- Lauren Peterson of the AOC SPARC center wants you to check out the upcoming "Road Cycling 101" sessions they've set up in the weeks leading up to Twilight. See the attached flyer or contact Lauren Peterson for more info and details. The clinic sessions, presented by AOC/SPARC and 706P at the Oconee Heights Baptist Church on April 2nd, 9th, and 16th, will cover:
- Week 1: Pace Line & Pack Skills
- Week 2: Climbing & Gear Selection
- Week 3: Cornering and Descending