Ride Details & Checklist
Please Register Soon
- If you are still on the fence about signing up, this is the time to commit.
- We have just a few open slots left, and we need to make sure there is lodging and transportation for you.
- Online registration will remain open until Friday, April 14th
- After April 14th, registration, if available, will only be open via check or cash payment and based on available space.
- Update Mollie Sherman on Your Lodging - If you haven't already done so, or if your lodging or transportation needs and plans have changed in any way, please contact Molly Sherman (email@example.com) - at once to let her know. Right now, we are counting "bikes and butts," to make sure we have room for everyone and every bike.
- Special Needs? - If you have any special needs or unique plans that you haven't mentioned before, let us know that now as well.
- Double-Check Your Lodging - If you haven't personally checked back on your Louisville-area reservations, we ask that you do so. The hotels we've used have never lost a reservation, but because they can be rather casual (e.g., no confirmation number), it's always a good idea just to double check.
- Tune Your Bike, and Yourself - Make sure that you and your bike are in excellent shape. Most of you have been out riding many miles, so you are likely on top of those things. Still, this would be a good time to
- Start tapering your miles, getting some rest, and fine-tuning your fitness, and
- Check out your bike tires, drive train, and all equipment you'll be riding or carrying.
- Day One Check-In - Show up for the start of the ride between 7:00 and 7:15 a.m. on Friday, May 5. This gives us time to check you in and for you to be sure your luggage gets on the luggage van. The ride departs at 8 a.m. sharp from the Jittery Joe's Roaster, 425 Barber Street, Athens.
- Parking - If you have driven in from out of town, or if you have a rental car, you may park it for the weekend at the Roaster. The main gate is locked there each evening.
- SAG Bag - Bring one piece of luggage for your riding supplies and gear. We will carry your gear each day.
- Tag Your Bike and Gear - Please label your bike, luggage, and gear with your name, cell number, and name of your Friday night hotel as follows
- 'LML' = Louisville Motor Lodge
- 'WI' = Wadley Inn
- 'Wrens' = Western Inn
- 'O' = Other
- Ride Gear - Remember to bring your own tool kit, tube, tire (if you have a unique tire size), gels, sunscreen, medications, chamois butter or Hoo Hah Cream (!), and other personal effects.
- SAG Team - There will be a SAG team caravan of approximately ten vehicles covering the road from start to finish each day. They will help point out turns, provide snacks, serve lunch, and transport folks to dinner the first night, to Savannah hotels the second night, and back to Athens on Sunday.
- Role Call - During the course of the ride each day, Molly will be checking off riders to be sure we haven't lost anyone (we never have!). Please help her by finding her and giving her your name each day at the beginning of the ride, at lunch, and at the end. IF YOU WILL NOT BE AT ANY OF THESE POINTS FOR WHATEVER REASON, TELL MOLLY IN ADVANCE
- Route Marking - Every turn from Athens to Savannah will be marked with a person and/or standing road sign. All riders will receive a detailed cue sheet with phone numbers of SAG Team members.
- Lunch & Snacks - Lunch will be provided at the halfway point of the ride each day: at Alexander Stephens Park in Crawfordville on Day 1, provided by the Rest Stop Queen; and at the Screven County Fire Station in Rocky Ford, hosted by the United Way of Screven County, on Day 2 (still being confirmed). There are designated SAG stops approximately every 20-25 miles as well, and they will have snacks and drinks for you.
- Day One Transport - The "finish line" after 112 beautiful miles on Day 1 is the Louisville Motor Lodge. We will transport any folks who are staying in Wadley and Wrens from Louisville to those hotels.
- Day One Bike Storage - However: because we have so many folks staying at lodging other than the Louisville Motor Lodge, it will not be practical to transport everyone's bikes to and from the Motor Lodge on Friday night and Saturday morning. Therefore, we are asking that everyone who is staying somewhere other than the Motor Lodge and does not have his/her own private transportation (friend, spouse, etc.), leave his/her bike at the Motor Lodge on Friday evening. We will work with you to secure your bikes in the Georgia Cycle van (which is locked down), a room of another cyclist staying at the Motor Lodge, or a separate room that we set aside at the Motor Lodge.
- Day One Route - see the link on the main AthSav2017 page.
- Day One Dinner - Dinner on Friday night is a group affair (at your own expense, but very reasonable), at the famous Little Dutch House in Wrens. We are working on getting some school buses from the Jefferson County School District to help transport folks to dinner, starting at 7:00 p.m.
- AthSav Swag - At Friday night dinner, we will give out t-shirts. We will have additional t-shirts for sale for $15. We will also have for sale any as-yet unclaimed AthSav jerseys.
- Day Two Departure - On Saturday morning of Day 2, we all depart at 8 a.m. from the Louisville Motor Lodge - we will bring you back from your lodging in Wadley, and Wrens.
- Day Two Transport - The finish line on Day 2, after another 100 miles, is the Country Store on the north side of Highway 26 in Bloomingdale, GA, just 100 yards after Hwy 17 terminates at Hwy 26. The GPS coordinates for the store are 32°08'47.9"N 81°20'26.3"W. We will transport you from the finish line to your historic downtown Savannah hotels ONLY. We can ONLY transport riders to lodging in close proximity to the main ride hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn.
- Day Two Route - see the link on the main AthSav2017 page.
- Day Two Dinner - Dinner on Saturday night in Savannah is an individual affair (at your own expense), although folks usually group up for a special post-Double Century blowout and celebration!
- Transport Back to Athens - If we are transporting you and your bike back to Athens on Sunday morning, make sure Molly knows that, and be at the brick alleyway outside the Hilton Garden Historic Savannah on Bay Street by 9:30 a.m. We will depart at 10:00 a.m. and arrive back in Athens around 3:30 p.m. We return to the Jittery Joe's Roaster.
- Rain or Shine - We ride rain or shine, unless the weather is prohibitively dangerous. We've never had to cancel or delay a ride - let's hope our good luck streak continues this year.
- Ride Safety - We will have some strong, fast riders, but this is not a race. Have fun, knock it out, but please focus on the safety of everyone first. Keep to the right, and ride single-file on smaller roads and whenever vehicles are trying to pass.
- Join A Sub-Group - We will have a group with a wide range of riding speeds and styles. Find a sub-group that feels comfortable for you, and tuck in with them. It's a lot more fun, and more efficient, doing 210 miles with friends.
- Distressed Rider Pickup - If you get tired or can't/don't want to continue at any point either day, please let us know and we will pick you up.
- Additional Questions? - What have I left out, or what questions do you have? Please let me know! Please visit the Contact page for my phone and email.